Call me biased, but teeth are pretty amazing. Think about it, how cool is it that when we brush and floss, we are actually cleaning part of our skeleton?
I’m declaring today Fun Fact Friday and want to share 25 interesting things about teeth. A few of you may have heard before, others you will probably be surprised to learn.
25 Interesting Facts About Teeth
- 78% of Americans have at least 1 cavity by age 17
- Just like fingerprints, teeth are also unique to each person
- Tooth enamel is the hardest substance in the human body, even stronger than bone.
- The average American spends 38.5 days brushing their teeth throughout their life time.
- Most people only brush for about 45-70 seconds a day but the recommended time is 2- 3 minutes two times per day!
- Elephant teethcan be a foot around and weigh six pounds.
- Sharks have around 40 sets of teeth, while humans only have two; primary and adult teeth.
- U.S. consumers buy about 14 million gallons of toothpaste annually
- Two-thirds of your teeth are hidden below your gums
- Teeth begin to form even before birth when a baby is growing in the womb but don’t erupt until a child is around 6-12 months old.
- Most adults have 32 teeth, mosquitoes have 47, dogs 42, cats 30 and armadillos 104!
- Giraffes only have bottom teeth
- Throughout a lifetime your mouth produces over 25,000 quarts of saliva
- Before toothpaste came about people used honey, tobacco, ground chalk, ashes, lemon juice and even charcoal to clean their teeth!
- The most common childhood disease is tooth decay
- A tooth that gets knocked out of your mouth will start to die within 15 minutes
- Periodontal disease is more common than you realize. 3 out of 4 patients have it to one degree or another.
- Blue toothbrushes are purchased more than any other color
- People who drink 3 or more servings of soda a day have 62% more tooth decay
- 25% of American children won’t see a dentist before they enter kindergarten
- When you don’t floss you miss cleaning roughly 35% of your tooth’s surface
- More than 300 types of bacteria make up the plaque that cause tooth decay.
- Teeth contain stem cells… researchers are currently using dental stem cells to try and regrow human teeth
- Humans have four types of teeth: incisors, canine, premolars and molars
- If you floss your teeth oncea day you will use over 5 miles of floss during a lifetime.
Keep on smiling, it’s the most important thing you wear!