A missing tooth can present a major problem. First, it can inflict serious cosmetic damage on your smile. Second, the first lost tooth is not always the last. Take this quiz about dental implants from Dr. Deborha Staten and see what you can learn about one of the top tooth-replacement methods available.
- True or False: Anyone can receive a dental implant.
- True or False: Dental implants can prevent further tooth loss.
- True or False: Dental implants can be used to stabilize wobbly dentures.
- False. Not everyone is able to receive a dental implant. Dental implants rely on the jawbone, which hosts the post of the implant so that it can act as an anchor for the prosthetic tooth. If enough healthy bone is not available, the implant cannot be placed. However, if a patient does not have enough healthy bone available to support a dental implant, bone grafting may be able to provide the sufficient bone needed.
- True. When a tooth falls out, the body recognizes the loss and stops sending nutrients to the area. Unfortunately, teeth in the vicinity may not receive adequate nutrition as a result. When this situation occurs, a condition known as the domino effect happens as more and more teeth begin to fall out. However, dental implants can help prevent the domino effect because the body recognizes the post of the implant as a tooth’s root and restores the flow of nutrients.
- True. Many denture wearers complain of imperfect fits that allow their dentures to slide around their mouths. Thankfully, dental implants can solve this problem. They can act as anchors for the dentures, preventing embarrassing slips and improving the general quality of life for denture wearers.
Dental Implants from Your Summerlin Dentist – Dr. Deborha Staten
Have you lost a tooth recently? Dental implants can replace missing teeth and restore oral health. To schedule an appointment or a consultation, contact Dr. Staten today by calling our office at 702-736-7979.